Thursday, November 22, 2007

Creative Writing...

Its a weird world in which we live. Its strange to think that we remember so much of the things we've forgotten.

Judging by the profoundly confused look in my own face, I may have to explain the above statements.

I have been carrying around 2 stories in various stages of completeness for the better part of 2 years. These stories, as I've explained before, are ones that I've started at a different time in my life, at a time when there were endless possibilities for what I wanted to do and the time that I had to spend doing it.

I sat down today, taking some time out of my day from work, and begin to reread these master pieces of horror and macabre. Within the first 10 minutes of reading the pages I was immersed back into the world that I had created, the plot came flooding back into me, the little nuances of the characters became the focus of my attention. I flipped to the end to read what I had concluded about the ending, and deciding that it needed to be re-written. Based upon a few notes that I had included in previous pages I had formulated an entire alternate ending, a complete plot twist from how it was originally intended to conclude.

I have begun to notice that I have not enjoyed a movie, book, comic, tv series where every single loose end is tied and you know exactly what happens with the characters after the cameras are turned off. Take the movie “Children of Men” where the movie ends with the characters on a boat, waiting to be rescued. That is the kind of thing that interests me, if you don't what happens next then you are bound to be intrigued and formulate your own opinions with your friends and co-workers. That is the main point of a story if you ask me, to have people remember it and talk about it among themselves spreading the word.

That is the goal of my writing.

No comments: