Friday, May 2, 2008

Brunei, Day 7, April 23

April 23, 2008

Today was the day of the offical launch of the application and website, which I have been helping to install for the past 7 days. It was a public event surrounded by speeches, a press release and visits by local dignitaries. They made such a big deal with the launch of this that when the Minister of Development finished his speech, he walked across the stage and literally pressed a button to make the launch official. The Canadian High Counceillor to Brunei was in attendance as well.

We had three booths setup in the main foyer for people to walk around and see the different things that we were offering. I was talking with a colleague next to me when I was tapped on the shoulder and one of the Department heads asked me to explain this system to the Minister of Development. I was taken a little by surprise but proceeded to explain the 3-D system to him. After a moment we moved on to the other two kiosks, of which I'd normally handle as well, but Jenny was there to help, plus it was at that particular point in time when I was introduced to the Canadian High Counceillor.

The 2nd or 3rd day that I was in Brunei, RN and I had lunch with his assistant Celice, mostly because he was out of the country doing some diplomatic things, or else we would have been having lunch with us. At this lunch she had mentioned to me that the day of the launch she would make introductions.

So, while Jenny was sinking with the ship trying to explain the other two items I was talking to the High Counciellor about the East Coast and the local cuisine. It was a pretty cool experience.

No comments: