Monday, May 26, 2008

Saturday Disappointments

Music: Alec Empire - I just wanna Destroy

I had made plans, with myself, all week to go to the pond thats at the top of the hill to take some pictures. Every time I drive by its so calm and peaceful. Except one day, as I was driving my wife to work I thought I saw something in the pond. I do a double take and think that I see a beaver swimming freely near the shore. I got excited and vowed to go on my day off. Saturday afternoon was rainy and full of drizzle, I patiently waited next to the window with camera in hand for a sunny break. My patience was answered at 4pm when the sun broke through, I tore through the door and jumped in the car.

My first stop was a flower bed downtown that was planted by the city its be a long time since I've taken any pictures of flowers (I used to do it on a regular basis while in school) that were planted by the city. Next, I haul ass up the hill to the pond. I parked across the road in the ball field and ran across 4 lanes of traffic to get to the area. As I'm walking towards the pond I can see a stream of ripples (much like I saw the previous day) going towards the center of the pond. I was behind brush and could not see what it was. I walked faster in hopes of coming around the corner before it was too far away. As I come around the corner, I see it.....

a duck, a green-headed mallard duck. All this time, dreaming about photographing a real beaver in its natural inner-city habitiat.... I find a duck.

No comments: