Sunday, May 4, 2008

Brunei, after-effects

May 4rd

Today marks the 3rd day being back in the country after my "round the world" trip from Asia. I'm just a little jet lagged. Just a little.

The first day back in the country we were up until 3am talking and telling stories, doing that kind of reunion when you've been away from your wife for so long. The sleep was restful but at the same time short.

My eyes shot open like a spring at 5am. Shit. I thought it might be a little different coming this way as I didn't get as much sleep on the plane. Then again, it is my body we are talking about. I got up and walked around the apartment looking for something to do, but couldn't really find much to do that didn't involve making lots of noise, like unpacking and watching a movie.

That day we went shopping to get me some shirts as I realized on my trip that I have a very limited amount of short-sleeved shirts for the summer. Which kind of sucks for the summer as I'm a very warm person anyways. While we were at the mall we inquired about the possibility of getting a phone that I could possibly take with me some other time that I/we go travelling outside of North America so that we can stay in contact.

The only thing that I could find in a worldphone is a Blackberry, I tried a few different providers and Aliant/Bell in Canada are Bastards. The package of theirs that I could afford was $100 and didn't include much in the way of anything maybe 50 MB of Data a month. I walked down the hall in the mall to Telus and found out that they had an unlimited Data package for their blackberry for $88. So cheap.

If we can get out of our Aliant contracts I'm walking over to Telus and getting a Blackberry. Fuck Bell.

After we went to the mall we walked downtown to see the Flooding that has been going on in Fredericton. It had been progressively worse in the downtown area as most of the back property has been flooded, the little highway, the on ramp to the bridge. Everything was flooded, it was hard to find an area that wasn't covered in water.

The previous day most of the downtown core had been shutdown, there were 30 roads along the river that had been completely shut down as well.

You can see some of the pictures that I've taken on my website


The next night was just as bad, I was up until 12 or 1 and then up at 6am. I went to bed again at 8 and slept until 11, which wasn't bad, but it was too much sleep and felt like crap the rest of the day.

We did something we haven't done in a while, we rented a movie. We rented Cloverfield and Sharkwater.

Sharkwater has to be the most touching documentary that I've every seen. Its something thats going on right now that isn't discussed and that most people don't know about. Its scary to think that so many people will pay so much money for a piece of tasteless meat.


This morning is even worse, we were in bed at 10pm because I was so exhausted and then I was awoken at 4am. Things this morning was different, when I awoke I found out that there as a Godzilla movie on CBC. Sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What awesome pictures. Really well done.

Unknown said...

Why thank you. I do try to have fun. Just wait until I get going with my new camera.