Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Brunei, Day 4

April 19, 2008

Up at 4:30, forced myself to lay back down. F*cking jet lag. Up at 7am.

Working at the Survey Department installing software and preparing data. They began to hover around me, the workers. It kind of creepy hearing something shuffle behind you in an enclosed area and then turn around to see them standing there.

Experienced some network configuration problems as computer was on a different network than the DNS server. This can be alright if the network is setup right, but I'm supposing its not, to make matters worse nothing has been connected before we arrived.

We may have to work tomorrow, when the Gov't offices that we are using to do our work are closed. Great. There goes my weekend. (Their weekends are Friday [Muslim holy day] and Sunday [Christian holy day].) Guess I'll have to find some other time to get my “shopping” done, though I don't know when or where. (apart from DVDs and a football jersey.)

We have been here for 2 hours and I have yet to touch the server, we are soooo behind schedule.

There was a break of one of the guys using the server and so I went to test a few things to make sure I had all the connection information when we came back here tomorrow to do work. When I went and tested the information nothing was working and things had been unplugged, that and they didn't give us access to the third server that we told them, which is the entire purpose we are here.

I'm still picking dry skin, rather large chunks from my hair from when I burnt my scalp in Mexico the week before. I hope its peeling skin and not actual skin shavings from the Gecko running around my room, that would be kind of creepy. But fun, that sounds very fun, I want a house with 15 or 20 gecko's running around pooping on the walls. Its official, I need a new pet, maybe a lizard or a giant iguana to have basking on the rocks in the yard, though he may freeze to death in the spring... fall... or winter. Definitely the winter.

Went out to lunch at a little Indian place for some spicy noodles... drove by a Shell gas station, which is the only oil/gas company in the country. The price $0.53 / L ... in BRUNEI dollars..... thats about $0.34 / L Canadian. I want to live here....

Jenny, one of the consultants for the company we are working with to setup this system is going to be sent to Caris to undergo some training and experience with our software, etc. They were thinking about sending her in June or July to take the training and gain better experience with the software. She's hoping to have the trip to Canada pushed back quite a bit. She would really like to have them send her over sometime in the fall/winter when there is lots of snow.

Spent 6 hours standing around waiting for them to finish with Oracle installation. Yeah, totally behind schedule. Not cool. I don't want that added pressure.

Spent the evening configuring web servers on my laptop to work so that I could spend only a few moments in the morning configuring the servers without having to do research. Woo!

No comments: