Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Brunei, Day 1, Part 2

Some time in some timezone....

So, I've been on the plane already for NINE hours and there are still another 6 to go before we get to our destination. It makes me wonder if I'm going to get there on time for my connecting flight, I really hope so, but then again my luggage is on this plane so its not like my stuff will get there before me.

I'm exhausted but its near impossible to sleep on the plane, my butt is numb from these chairs and the plane is warm so its making me even more uncomfortable which makes me restless and not tired. Its a vicious circle really, and I swear the people on the plane are out to get me. :) Plus, as nice as this plane is its lacking the "personal" air blower that all other flights have. I guess its a sacrifice: cool interactive tv gets traded for a reclining seat and air blower. Rip off.

Currently, we're flying over the northern part of Russia toward Mongolia then to Hong Kong. I'd open the window slider and look outside but the sun is still out and shining directly on my side of the plane, I guess that might be because we're now tomorrow morning instead of night time like my body thinks. Its that or my eyes have been adjusted to the darkness of the plane and this thing called "natural light" is f*cking up my body.

One of my co-workers told me to request on an aisle seat so that I could get up and walk around when I'm feeling numb, now I know why. My butt's numb and my row buddy is sleeping. Guess I'll have to request aisle for on the way home, wonder if they can accommodate me?

If only my seat would recline then I'm sure I'd be able to sleep, the only thing my seat does is slide down the chair to help me slouch. Too bad really.

I'm sleepy, I miss my wife, and I've got a headache.

-------------------------------

1:35 am (Fredericton) on the 15th – 1:35 pm (Hong Kong) on the 16th.

We're getting close to landing the plane in Hong Kong, they're still landing at 2 in the after noon, and still planning on giving me only an hour to navigate my way through the airport to find my flight and boarding the next flight to Brunei.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

---------------------------

Flying into Hong Kong was AMAZING. It has to be the coolest place on the planet. I unfortunately was too mesmerized by the scenery to remember to take any pictures. (I'll try and do that on the way back in on the 1st of May)

Upon arrival in Hong Kong, navigating my way through the endless passageway where all of the arrival terminals are to the mezzanine which contains about ½ million people, I'm not shitting you.

Confusingly make my way to the Royal Brunei area where they tell me that because our flight was late getting in they were calling a person from their terminal to come and get me through security. Take me to the side of the line to the “Staff” entrance and jump me to the front of the line and run me across the air port. They tell me “we can't guarentee that your luggage will be on this flight” I knew that because if I wasn't almost going to make my flight, then there was no way that my luggage was. :)

On the plane, the girls were dressed really cool with different head dresses. They played a Muslim prayer before take off and then did the security demonstration. Its weird not hearing English instructions and then another language. They do Malay first then English. There were a surprising number of white people on the flight.

Arrived early, was standing next to the conveyor for my luggage when I was approached by a man who told me that my luggage wasn't on that flight and that it would be arriving 6pm tomorrow evening on the same flight that I was on. Filled out forms and went to look for my co-worker.

Found him, took me to the house (very nice) and then showered. Mmmmmm... rinsing 24-hour sweat never felt so good, seriously the best shower I've ever taken. Talked to the guys with whom I'll be staying. They gave me a tour of the house and told me where the important things were, such as toilet paper. We then went to eat at a traditional Chinese restaurant in the back of someones house. Very tasty. Chicken, pork served with illegal beer. Did I mention that Brunei is a dry Muslim country, and selling alcohol is totally illegal? Did I also mention that its illegal for a Muslim in the country to drink the illegal alcohol? I'm safe though, I can drink as much as I want.

Met a few of the people with whom I'll be working, all very nice and good people. Will be an interesting few days thats for sure.

Bed time.

No comments: