Sunday, July 20, 2008

Who could be so cruel?

Sad lonely eyes looking up at the world from the side of the road, wondering why no one will stop to say hello to me. Watching a million people walk by blissfully ignoring my presence in the world as if I were nothing.

Waiting for the perfect opportunity when someone would give me just a little, I've been hungry for days now. I'm beginning to see the world as a dark and cruel place, it wasn't that long ago when the world was my oyster, and I could have anything I desired.

What happened to those days? Did I do something wrong to deserve this? If I could say I'm sorry to the people that I loved I would, if I could say anything I'm sure someone would stop to help.

I put my head on the ground and wait. I wait for my turn. Someone will have the courage to help me.

Finally someone comes near to me, I lift my head up in hopes that they'll stop and pay some attention to me. That after countless hours sitting patiently in the sun I'll get what I need.

Again, I go unnoticed as the tall stranger zooms past and into the shop. The person does a double take as they enter the shop. Were they looking at me?

They turned around in the door and look out at the world from the safe confines of the shop. Is it time?

They wave. I look around and see another person on the other side of the road wave back.

Putting my head down again, I feel alone and rejected.

A small child comes towards me. They're always so friendly and caring. I begin to stand to greet them when a large person accompanying they yanks them out of the way.

Looking up at them I can only see an outline of a figure with a halo of light visible around their head as if they were blocking out the sun. Are they the person of my dreams who has come to rescue me from this life on the street? Are they an angel sent from heaven to take me away?

The person raises their hand to the sky in a gesture to bring it down on my head.

I cringe in fear, waiting for the inevitable moment when that blinding red pain will light up my world making it hard to concentrate, to see.

It doesn't come, instead I hear a shrill of laughter as the person can only pat himself on the back as he saw the fear in my eyes.

Why do people have to be so cruel? Would they find the same enjoyment if they were huddled in a corner on the sidewalk while so many people passed them by?

-----

This story is inspired by the dog that I saw today while I was having breakfast at a little cafe here in Brunei.

Before we left the cafe one of the other shop keepers chased him away. I can't imagine someone being so cruel to an animal who's only looking for some food and love. I could never live here, I would have a house full of dogs all of which I see on my daily commute to work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm depressed now! But I think that was what you were going for, so well done.

Carolyn said...

I think the same thing every time I see a stray. That's why I never go to puppy stores because I fear that I would end up coming home with all the dogs. My old roomate actually kept a stray cat she found and he was in terrible shape, but is now in great health and the cutest thing!

Unknown said...

Oddy: thats what I was going for, it made me sad.

Rose: thats why I don't go to pet stores either. We went in for cat food and came out with a cat one time.

Katman said...

I remember being in Crete on holiday with my wife. We'd just entered a car park in some town and there was a car stopped right in front of us. The driver, a German woman, was outside the car and clearly hysterical. She had run over a puppy that belonged to the car park owner. Her husband, a fat useless prick, was still sat in the car. I told the car park owner that the dog needed treatment, but he just shrugged and told me to throw it in the bin. The pup was barely alive & I was not prepared to leave it to die in agony. I did what I thought was best, took it out of sight of my wife and the German woman and put it out of its misery, said a little prayer for it & left it hidden under a tree. I told both my wife and driver that the pup passed away peacefully. It still angers me that i had to do that. Unfortunately there was nothing else i could do; Greece has not a very good reputation for animal welfare.
The thing that still gets me as well is that useless German prick of a husband who couldn't even be bothered to get out of the car to console his wife. I should have dragged him out and given him a good kicking.

Unknown said...

Katman - That is an even sadder story than my own. I can't beleive that they'd just sit there and ignore something that was injured.