Monday, December 10, 2007

On again, off again, on again ...

Listening to: Hanzel und Gretyl - L'Experience des Dificultes Technique | Nine Inch Nails - Love is Not Enough (Live)

I just wish I'd make up my mind sometimes.

It looks as though my migration away from Windows is going to be happening again. And its all thanks to my wonderful laptop.

Don't get me wrong I love my laptop I think its a fantastic piece of machinery. I've never had a computer as good as the one that I have now, but there seems to be some interference.

I noticed last night while I was working that my mp3s tend to skip and stutter sometimes. You never come between a geek and his music, thats sacrilege.

At first I thought it was due to bad sound quality or faulty songs. As a test I put one of the offending songs into each of my mp3 players on my computer (of which I have 5) and it played with the same stuttering results. Test one passed.

I then copied the song to my MP3 player where upon the song played perfectly without any problem what so ever. Test two failed.

After doing some quality research (5 minutes on Google) I discovered that I'm not the only one encountering this problem. There are loads of other people with my particular laptop who are experiencing similar problems. The most common problem was the microphone from the webcam was interfering with the sound. So, I disabled it.

No better. Test three failed.

Other times it was because of old / out-dated drivers. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for my soundcard.

No better. Test four failed.

All the time I was buzzing around the internet trying to see what the problem was. Then someone casually mentioned that they had solved the problem by changing some settings in their *wireless* settings.

Could it be true, could my wireless intenet be causing all of the headaches that I've been having with my MP3s. (I've been re-ripping *tons* of songs.)

As a test, I flicked off the wireless internet and started up my test song.

Played flawlessly. Test five passed.

More swearing ensued.

And then I rejoiced as it has finally given me a reason to install Linux for good.

No comments: