Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Unexpected Discoveries

As I was cleaning out the giant mess of papers in the closet, on the bed, in the dresser, on my desk... everywhere. I came across something unexpected. I found the obituary and program from Chris' memorial service we had back in 2000. Everyone who attended was given a paper with the procession and a note, on the reverse side, from Chris' best-friend in high school who could not attend.

Something I didn't know: he died in October of 2000, which means we just passed the 10 year mark of his passing.

Now that I know the date again, I should do something every year to mark the occasion. I'm thinking that a visit to Grand Manan or a visit to a light house along the coast would be fitting.

In amongst the papers from the service I found a badly hand-written note that I had written the night before the service. I wrote this with every intention of reading at the service.

Reading it now, makes me smile. Filled me with memories of him and the things we did together, made me remember the kind of guy he was and the man he would have grown in to. The world is a different place since he's gone, but his foot prints are still in my soul.

Here it is, in all its terribly written glory (remember: this was written by a 19 year old who wasn't good with words or emotions):

Chris was a great guy who would do anything for a friend. He was the very first person I spoke to when I arrived at university. He told me all about his passion for snowboarding and how much he would miss it that winter. Everyone who was friends with him knew how special he made everyone feel. He had a good time whenever he did anything, no matter where he was. He put 100% into everything he did.


In TE hall a friendship was formed with all 11 guys up there. Everyone had a bond with each other, each bond being strong in its own way. But a friendship with Chris was strong with everyone. He befriended everyone that he talked to, there were not many people who didn't enjoy his company.


I could talk to Chris about anything and not worry about negative criticism, he was a great listener but he was an even better friend. He was a great friend who did many things for me and I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to meet your son and have him touch my life in that way.


He will be missed greatly, but his will, courage and strength will live in our memories forever. I know he was a fighter and never gave up. I will never, ever forget Chris or all the great things he has done for me. 


I miss him so much right now, and I will miss him more with passing day, but I will be strong just like him.

No comments: