Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Things to do on Halloween eve....

shoveling isn't one of them.

In honour of receiving our first snowfall last night I thought I would title todays post appropriately. You have read it right, last night we received about 2 inches of snow, now its bad enough that I was working at 7am this morning, but the last thing that I wanted to do was to clean off the car. Actually, the last thing I wanted to do this morning was get up and go to work, but alas, here I am.

The spirit of winter, though, has yet to awaken from it summer slumber and the “Fall Guy” has decided that he was going to bitch his entire way through the day.

Generally, I'm all about winter. Its my 2nd favourite season to take pictures in, Fall being the first with all of the colours. The first snowfall of the year, makes the trees, in particular the Pine and Fir, stand out from the rest of the forest. My new work environment is completely surrounded on the back by forest so I have spent a good portion of the morning looking out at the trees and the way that the snow is hanging on the branches.

The downfall of the winter, now that I own a car, is the expense of maintaining it in the winter. Seeing as how the East Coast of Canada gets a lot of snow and freezing temperatures the general consensus of people around is to put “winter tires” on the car. Now, really, who the hell can afford to put winter tires on the car? Not me. Though I am looking forward to the first time that I have to shovel my driveway when I own a house, that novelty will wear off once I figure out that it means that I have to get up an hour earlier to get myself *out* of the driveway.

There is one more thing about winter that I like, normally people are happier in the winter. Yes, people love the sunshine and the warmth of the summer, but you will hear more people complaining about the stickiness and how they can't enjoy anything outside because of the heat. In the winter, everyone already expects to not do anything because of the weather so they are accepting of this and walk around with rosy red cheeks and a smile on their face when they reach the comfort of indoors.

Just thinking about going outside after work and taking in the fresh air is making me smile and is turning my day around already. I think that today just might be a great day...

No comments: