Monday, January 14, 2008

Testing can be fun

Music: Ministry - LiesLiesLies (Cognitive Dissonance Mix) & Abby Travis - Wink

Boy, I'm really starting to suck at updating this. Who would have thought that being at work would hinder my ability to write and contribute to my existence on the web.

Although, I'm not really sure that anyone is complaining or noticing my missing venture on the web.

I've spent the better part of a week ticking off the product manager (PM) for the software that I support here at work. When I was working here before the PM would tell me when there was a new release or update coming out so that I could test the bejesus out of it before any of the clients seen it. The new PM that they hired since I vacated my position back in September seems to enjoy testing things himself.

There is not really a problem with this, under normal circumstances. But the word normal does not apply to this situation. When testing new functions, its generally a good idea to test out the new items to make sure that they work, and then test some of the major fuctions to see if they got broken. He didn't do the second thing.

*Background* I work for a software company that specializes in mapping software. We create the software that the people at Google Maps use to create the maps that you see. We have our own online mapping software which I deal with that allows users to better interact with the data on the map, you can search the map for certain feature (like road names, city names) and you can also click on different areas of the map and get information about the area.

You see, the last two items I mention, the search and select, are very important components of the software.

It turns out that they released the new upgrade without seeing if those items actually worked. Within 6 hours of releasing it to the public, there was a problem. BOTH of those functions didn't work and weren't tested to begin with.

*Moving forward* I arrive back at work, and see that the upgrade was released. I start to test it and discovered no less than 14 or 15 items in the installation of the upgrade that are broken which could potentially cripple the software when its used.

After resolving most of the issues with the PM, there was another build of the upgrade today to be tested. I found two more problems.

The PM told me jokingly to go home for the day so that they can release the upgrade, albeit 20 days late.

Its not my fault they used the words: "We'll release the Service Pack when Albert has finished testing it."

Those are fateful words if you ask me.

P.S. - At the rate they are building replacement installations, this is going to be 22 days late before I am finally happy.

No comments: