Friday, August 15, 2008

New Computer

So, I'm writing this little entry on my brand new computer. Well, not really brand, as I've had it for a little over a week now. The computer I'm talking about is one of those new "ultra-portable" computers that every one is talking about. The ones that are about the size of one of the portable DVD players that you can pick up.

There are not a lot of bells-and-whistles on the computer. No CD-Rom drive, no harddrive. Its got a fairly impressive 8" screen, and wireless Internet which makes it perfect for taking with you to the mall or even in the car. Its small enough to fit into the side pocket of most cargo shorts. (That is how I carry it around with me since I don't own a purse.)

The keyboard takes a little getting used to though, as the keys are small and compact which can make it a little difficult to type. I often find myself hittig the wrong keys while typing simple messages.

All in all its a great little item which I gladly use while sitting on the couch to do most of the tasks that I have on the Internet. Personally, I think that everyone should get one.

(Mine was free.) But you can pick one up for about $300 fully installed.

Portability: 4.5/5
Usability: 4/5
Cool factor: 6/5

Most people may find the interface cool, as everything is preinstalled and setup. Once you settle on the "Wow factor" someone will tell you that you're using Linux and you'll want to rush out and get it.

----

Speaking of which, have I mentioned that I managed to switch all 4 of the computers in the house to Linux. Even my wifes? .... Under *her* request?

I was sitting there playing with some of the advanced graphics stuff that are available in Linux, more specifically I was making it rain on my desktop.



Cool shit eh? Bet you that you want it now.

3 comments:

Katman said...

Those ultra's do look really good; I can't ustify getting one tho as my laptop is till in good working order an any extra money has to go on my bambinoes toys - alas!!

Thats a really cool trick...loved the wiper!!!

Unknown said...

It is pretty cool, wait until you actually play with something like it, you just may really, really enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

COOL!!!!! I have an OLPC laptop which is small and portable. I like it too. I can't make it rain though.